Orange and Blue Romaine Salad
PREP TIME: 10
COOK TIME: 5
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise through the core
- Lemon flavored olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (recommended: Shropshire)
- 1 navel orange
- 1/2 small shallot, sliced
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat.
- Brush the romaine spears with some lemon oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put the spears on the grill pan and cook, turning once, until grill marks appear and the lettuce begins to wilt, about 2 minutes total.
- Immediately remove from the grill to a serving platter and sprinkle each half with about 2 tablespoons of the crumbled blue cheese.
- With a sharp knife, cut the peel and pith from the orange.
- Carefully remove the orange segments by cutting them lengthwise away from the membrane, into a bowl.
- Squeeze the juice from the membrane over the segments and slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons lemon oil until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then add the shallots and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the citrus vinaigrette and orange sections over the grilled romaine spears and garnish with the remaining blue cheese.