Join Nick as he dives into some incredible soup recipes. He prepares Sicilian Bread Soup followed by Onion Soup with Gorgonzola and Prosciutto and ends with Chicken Soup with Meatballs.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, thinly slices
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups diced prosciutto, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheeze
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1 cup croutons
- Heat the olive oil in large stock pot or Dutch oven set on medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, thyme, parsley, basil, sgae, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 of the prosciutto.
- Cook for 12 minutes, until the juices released by the onions have almost cooked away and they are beginning to brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 5 minutes to continue browning the onions.
- Pour in the Marsala and 1/2 of the Gorgonzola and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the soup into bowls and top with the remaining prosciutto, Gorgonzola and croutons.