Onion Soup with Gorgonzola and Prosciutto
Join Nick as he dives into some incredible soup recipes. He prepares Sicilian Bread Soup followed by Onion Soup with Gorgonzola and Prosciutto and ends with Chicken Soup with Meatballs.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds onions, thinly slices
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups diced prosciutto, loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheeze
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- 1 cup croutons
- Heat the olive oil in large stock pot or Dutch oven set on medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, thyme, parsley, basil, sgae, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 of the prosciutto.
- Cook for 12 minutes, until the juices released by the onions have almost cooked away and they are beginning to brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 5 minutes to continue browning the onions.
- Pour in the Marsala and 1/2 of the Gorgonzola and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- To serve, spoon the soup into bowls and top with the remaining prosciutto, Gorgonzola and croutons.