Serves 4 as a starter
I sometimes serve these with a tomato salsa (page), which is good and light.
- 110g (4oz) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150ml (1/4 pint) water
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Oil, for deep frying
- For the Tomato and Chilli Sauce
- 25g (1oz) green chillies (2-3depending on size) deseeded and chopped
- ½ x 400g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 dst caster sugar
- 1 dst brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
- Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan and simmer with the lid off, for 10 min, until reduced by half. Keeps for a week or two.
- First make the Tomato and chilli sauce.
- Then sieve the flour, baking powder and chilli powder into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, add the eggs, and whisk those and the water into the flour to make a smooth batter.
- Mix in the onions and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, heat the oil to about 170c/325f.Pop in dessertspoons of the onions and batter and fry for about 5 mins on each side, until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with tomato and chilli sauce.