- 8 – 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- melted butter
- 300ml milk
- 30ml castor sugar
- 250ml cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30ml rose water
- 50g chopped nuts (almonds, pistachio and hazelnuts)
- 100g raisins
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- whipped cream or ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160̊C. Lay each sheet of pastry on a baking sheet – brush with butter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until crisp.
- Remove from oven and increase oven heat to 180̊C.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and cream in low heat until hot, not boiling.
- Slowly add the egg and rosewater, cook until it thickens stirring all the time.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- Crumble the pastry using your hands and then spread it in layers with the nuts and raisins in a buttered baking dish then the pastry layer alternating until the mixture is finished – the top layer must be pastry.
- Pour custard mixture evenly over the nut and pastry dish and bake in the oven for 20minutes, until golden.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.