Ground meat is as accessible as it is economical. In this episode, Martha uses it in her mother’s meatloaf, and butcher Pat LaFrieda joins Martha to make sweet and hot Italian-style pork sausage. Martha custom-blends ground meats for burgers and cooks giant meatballs with ricotta. Each of these recipes is guaranteed to please family and friends alike.
- 11 ounces chuck steak, trimmed of any large pieces of fat
- 11 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed of any large pieces of fat
- Coarse salt
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar, thinly sliced
- 4 potato rolls (such as Martin’s)
- Thinly sliced pickles, for serving
- Equal parts ketchup and mayonnaise, mixed together, for serving
- Cut both steaks into strips. Grind through the large holes of a meat grinder. Combine in a bowl, and then grind together through small holes of grinder. Divide into 4 equal parts (each about 5 1/3 ounces.) Form patties, each about 3½ inches in diameter.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Season both sides of burgers with salt. Grill about 3 minutes a side for medium-rare, placing cheese on burgers at last minute. Transfer to a plate. Grill rolls until toasted, 30 seconds. Sandwich burgers on rolls with pickles and ketchup-mayonnaise.