Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Fried Shallots
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into equal-size chunks
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the flour to a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Coat the sliced shallots in the seasoned flour. Drop the shallots in the hot oil ,a few at a time to avoid clumps, and fry until dark golden in color. Transfer the shallots to a paper towel lined dish and sprinkle with salt, to taste.
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and cover with water. Season the water with a heavy pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Immediately drain the potatoes and put them through a food mill, into a large bowl. If you don’t have a food mill, you can hand mash or use a hand mixer, but be sure to not over whip if using an electric mixer.
- Slowly heat the cream in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Mix the hot cream into the potatoes and season with a little salt and pepper, to taste. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Top the potatoes with crispy fried shallots and serve. Eat and enjoy!