- 4 Atlantic Lobsters, 1 lb (450 g) each, live (or buy pre-steamed from a fish monger)
- Canola oil
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup (250 ml) Onion
- 3 Cloves garlic
- 2 inch (2.5 cm) Piece ginger, diced
- Pinch cumin seeds
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 Clove
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) Chilli flakes
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Coriander seed
- 4 Cardamom pods
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 ml) Fish stock
- Lime juice
- 2 cups (500 ml) Coconut milk
- Jasmine rice (optional)
- Cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- Boil the lobster in salted water (head first) for 7 minutes. Once cooked place into an ice bath to cool
- Remove the meat from the lobster tail and claws. Place the meat into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Cut the lobster bodies in half lengthwise.
- Heat canola oil in a wok or heavy large pot over high heat. Add lobster bodies, cut side down and sear until shells begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Remove and set them aside.
- Add canola oil and kaffir lime leaf. Heat for 30 seconds. Add onions, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt. Sautee until softened.
- Add spices and toast for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, fish stock, lime juice and coconut milk.
- Put the lobster shells back in the pot. Simmer for 1- 2 hours until thickened.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl. Discard the solids. Pour the liquid back into the pot.
- Remove the lobster meat from the fridge and place into the curry liquid over low heat just so the meat can warm through.
- Plate lobster meat with jasmine rice. Spoon on some curry. Garnish with wedges of lime and fresh cilantro.