Lobster Corn Creme Brulee
PREP TIME: 30
COOK TIME: 45
- 3 cobs fresh corn, kernels removed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 pound lobster meat, diced (tail and/or claw)
- 2 ounces finely grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn kernels, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes to bring flavours together.
- Whisk the eggs together in a mixing bowl. Stir in a little of the hot corn mixture, to temper the eggs, then add the remaining corn mixture. Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, into a bowl, using a rubber spatula or small ladle to press out all the liquid. Discard the solids.
- Put 6 (6-ounce) ceramic ramekins in a 2-inch-deep baking dish. Ladle in the corn mixture, dividing evenly. Pour hot tap water into the baking dish, filling the dish about half full. Bake for approximately 35 minutes. Test for slight jiggle then remove them from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Evenly top each ramekin with the lobster meat and sprinkle with the Parmesan. Blow torch the cheese or put them under a broiler to brown and crisp.
- Make ahead: Once the custards are cooked, cool completely and refrigerate until ready to serve. When ready to serve, bring to room temperature and proceed topping the ramekins with lobster and cheese.