Lemon Meringue Pie
- 385g can of condensed milk
- 125ml lemon juice
- 5ml grated lemon rind
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 160ml castor sugar
- 1 pre baked sweet pastry shell
- Combine the condensed milk, lemon juice, rind and egg yolks and mix well. Pour this into the baked pastry shell.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff then gradually beat in all but 15ml of the castor sugar. The mixture should be thick and glossy.
- Pile the mixture on to the filling and sprinkle with the reserved castor sugar.
- Bake at 160°C for 20-30 minutes until pale golden.
- Switch off the oven and allow the pie to cool in the oven for another hour before removing.