Gizzi: “In this recipe we are using very little fat due to the incorporation of the courgette. These muffins are also wheat free.”
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
- 160g rice flour
- 180g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g poppy seeds
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 160g fructose sugar
- 3 unwaxed lemons, zest of 3 and juice of 2
- 250g grated courgette
- 100ml buttermilk
- 150g blueberries
How to make lemon, blueberry and poppyseed muffins
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12-muffin tray with muffin cases. Combine the dry ingredients, except the sugar, in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar with a handheld or standing mixer for 3 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the lemon zest, juice, courgette, buttermilk and blueberries and combine.
3. Working quickly with a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients until they are mixed in. The key is to not overwork the mixture.
4. Spoon even amounts of batter into each muffin case, filling each liner to the top. Pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before serving