Lamb Kleftiko with Roast Potatoes
- 4 fresh lamb shanks
- 2 cloves whole garlic
- 60ml olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 large potatoes, cut into wedges
- 50g salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 150’C
- Rub the lamb with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- With a sharp knife, pierce the lamb and insert a clove of garlic into the opening.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb on both sides until golden brown.
- Transfer the lamb and pan juices into a deep baking dish which has been lined with baking paper and drizzle with the red wine, bay leaves and rosemary. Tuck the paper neatly under the lamb to seal it.
- Roast on slow heat for about 4-5 hours, turning every hour or so, until all the juices have been absorbed.
- For the potatoes, put them into a deep roasting dish and season with salt and pepper. Cover with knobs of butter and some fresh rosemary and pop them into a hot oven (180′) for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until crispy.
Serve with the lamb Kleftiko