Kale Caesar Salad
Pete visits an organic Kale farm for a chat with Australian Organic’s Andrew Monk, in an all-vegetarian episode. Meals include Kale Caesar Salad, Raw Slaw with Homemade Mayo, Cauliflower Tabouli, and Luke Hine’s Paleo Parfait.
- 6–8 rashers of bacon 4 eggs
- 1 bunch (about 300 g) of kale, thinly sliced
- juice of 1 lemon 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and halved (optional)
- 4 macadamia nuts, grated
- Caesar dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped
- ½ garlic clove, crushed 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon dijon mustard 250 ml (1 cup) olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pan-fry the bacon until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan, drain on paper towel and leave to cool. Chop into small pieces and set aside.
- Place the eggs in a large saucepan of water. Bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat, drain and cool in iced water. Peel, quarter and set aside.
- To make the caesar dressing, combine the egg yolks, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and mustard in a food processor or blender. Process briefly until combined. With the motor running, gradually add the oil, drop by drop, until the dressing has emulsified and thickened slightly. Now pour in the oil in a steady stream and continue to process until the dressing is the consistency of pouring cream. Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper or more lemon juice as desired.
- Place the kale in a bowl and add the lemon juice and olive oil. Mix gently, rubbing the lemon juice and oil into the kale, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Place half the caesar dressing on the kale and mix gently.
- Tip the dressed kale into a large serving bowl and scatter on the parsley, pine nuts and anchovies (if using). Top the salad with the bacon, soft- boiled eggs and grated macadamia nuts.