Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo Salsa
Eggs are an inexpensive way to make a great and hearty breakfast, and Aida shows how to prepare them perfectly, every time. Baked Eggs With Canadian Bacon, Spinach, and Aged Cheddar looks decadent, but is simple to prepare. And for a little spice and zip for your morning, Huevos Rancheros With Tomatillo Salsa.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ease of Preparation: easy
Total Preparation Time: 3 Minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and quartered or 2 (12-ounce) cans tomatillos, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium jalapeno chile, stemmed, halved, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the eggs:
- 8 large eggs
- 2 to 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- For the tortillas:
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (can substitute feta)
- Sour cream and sliced avocado, optional
- For the salsa: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add tomatillos, onions, jalapeno, and garlic, and cook until tomatillos and onions are softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender, add cilantro, vinegar, and salt, and puree until sauce is smooth. (Yields about 2 cups salsa.)
- For the eggs: Bring at least 3 inches of water to a simmer in a medium pot and stir in vinegar. Break each egg into a separate small cup. Fill a large bowl with warm water and set aside. Gently slide eggs into the simmering water, 1 at a time. Cook until whites are just set, about 2 to 3 minutes. Lift eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon. Place in a bowl of warm water to keep warm while finishing the dish.
- For the tortillas: Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat to 350 degrees F. When oil is ready, add tortillas 1 at a time and fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt.
- To serve: For each serving, place down 2 corn tortillas, place 2 eggs on top, drizzle with salsa, and sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with a dollop of sour cream and slices of avocado. Serve immediately.