Hotcakes with Mango and Banana Sauté
These nifty little hotcakes are as light as a feather and can be made in the time it takes to heat the frying pan! You could serve them with berries, but the mango and banana is a delicious combination. And because both fruits are naturally high in sugar, this only needs a drizzle of maple syrup or honey to make it into what seems like a very decadent dessert.
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder tiny pinch of sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 250ml (9fl oz) buttermilk a little sunflower oil, for frying natural yoghurt, to serve
- MANGO AND BANANA SAUTÉ:
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 large, firm, ripe mango, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large bananas, peeled and thickly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey juice of 1 lime
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Make a slight dip in the middle and crack in the egg, then add the buttermilk and mix until smooth with a fork or small balloon whisk.
- Put a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add a little sunflower oil, removing any excess with kitchen paper. Spoon 3 tablespoonfuls of the batter into the heated pan and cook for 1–2 minutes, until little bubbles rise up to the top. Using a spatula, carefully flip over and cook for another minute or so, until golden on both sides.
- When the hotcakes are done, transfer them to a plate and cover with foil to keep them warm. Wipe the pan with kitchen paper and add a little more sunflower oil. Continue to make hotcakes with the rest of the batter. You should make about 12 hotcakes.
- Once all of the hotcakes have been made, wipe out the frying pan with kitchen paper and add the butter. Once the butter is melted and sizzling, tip in the mango and bananas, tossing to coat. Sauté for 2–3 minutes, until heated through and just beginning to caramelise.
- Drizzle over the maple syrup or honey and lime juice and continue tossing until evenly coated.
- Arrange three hotcakes on each serving plate. Add a spoonful of yoghurt to each one and spoon over the mango and banana sauté to serve.