Hot Cross Buns
- 1 quantity sweet dough (get the recipe here)
- 15ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml mixed spice
- 150g cake fruit mix
- 1 beaten egg
- Knead the spices and fruit cake mix into the sweet dough.
- Shape into 12 buns, arrange on a baking sheet with 1,5cm space between them. Allow to prove. Once risen, brush the beaten egg over the buns with a pastry brush, then use a long knife to score the surface of the dough into cross shapes.
- Pipe the crosses mixture along the score marks.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through. Brush over the glaze as soon as they come out the oven.
- Crosses: mix 125ml flour, 15ml oil and enough warm water to make a soft paste. Place in a disposable piping bag/plastic bag and cut a 3mm hole to pipe.
- Glaze: boil 50ml water, 30ml sugar and 3ml cinnamon in a saucepan for 2-3 minutes.