Hot and Sour Soup
Total Time: 30 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon tom yam hot and sour paste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped, optional
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom, inner part only, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 to 3 small jalapenos or fresh red or green chiles, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons, straw or button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 pound (2-ounce) peeled, raw shrimp
- 5 (1-inch) pieces small scallions, sliced thin
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock, tom yam paste, lime leaves, lemon grass, lime juice, fish sauce, chiles, and sugar.
- Once it has come to a boil, add mushrooms and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and scallions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes allowing the shrimp to cook but still be tender. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
- Place extra cilantro on the table for people to add more.