Homemade Pickles Veggies
Easy, Moderate, Complex
- 8 cups of mixed vegetables (Carrots, celery, beets, cauliflower)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorn (15 ml)
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 cups white vinegar (750 ml)
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (625 ml)
- For the pickled vegetables, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Fill a large bowl with ice and water and set aside. Place the vegetables in the boiling water and let cook until vibrant in color but still firm — about 1 minute. Transfer vegetables to a prepared ice bath until cool and drain. Transfer the blanched vegetables to a clean jar (or jars) with the garlic. Top with spices and herbs and set aside.
- For the marinade, combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until the mixture comes to just under a boil. Pour mixture directly over vegetables and seasonings. Allow to cool to room temperature, cap and refrigerate. Store refrigerated for at least 48 hours and for up to 1 month.