Ham and Cheese Croquettes
PREP TIME: 5min
COOK TIME: 10min
SERVES: 8 (2-inch) croquettes
- 1 cup leftover potatoes from Parsnip-Potato Mash recipe or plain mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Gruyere cheese, about 1-ounce
- 1/2 cup very finely diced cooked ham or country ham, about 2 ounces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes, 1/4 cup flour, cheese, and ham with a large rubber spatula until combined.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste and divide the mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Rub your hands with a small amount of flour and form the portions into small flat disks about 1/2-inch thick.
Use just enough flour to keep the potatoes from sticking to your hands, but do not coat them completely.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
Shallow-fry the croquettes, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Let the croquettes cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Cook’s Note: This recipe doubles easily if you have enough leftover potatoes.