Attention all you cheese lovers: This show is for you. Discover how Martha makes homemade ricotta, classic fondue, fettuccine alfredo, raclette, and grown-up grilled cheese.
- 2 slices bread, such as white, rye, or sourdough
- Unsalted butter, room temperature, or mayonnaise
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Fruit preserves (optional)
- Sliced cheese, such as Gruyere, fontina, or Cheddar
- Fillings, such as bacon, prosciutto, oil-packed sardines, oil-packed tuna, apple, red
- onion, pear, avocado, pickles, tomatoes, jalapeno, arugula, cilantro, sage, basil, or piquantè peppers
- Place bread on work surface and spread the outsides of both slices with either butter or mayonnaise, making sure to cover the surfaces. Spread the interiors with either butter, mustard or fruit preserves. Top one slice of bread with 2 slices of cheese and a combination of your favorite fillings. Sandwich together with second slice of bread.
- Preheat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the assembled sandwich. Once the cheese starts to melt and the bread on the bottom is golden brown, flip the sandwich, avoid pressing with the spatula to flatten. Grill until cheese has fully melted and the other side is golden brown.