Grilled Romaine with Barley and Halloumi
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cilantro and mint, chopped
- ¼ cups (60ml) lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons (90ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 oz (225g) halloumi cheese, cut into ¾ inch slices
- Olive oil, for frying
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups (480ml) cooked barley, warmed
- For vinaigrette, put chopped herbs in a mason jar or glass container. Add olive oil. Squeeze in lemon juice. Shake to combine.
- For the halloumi, slice into thick slabs. Drizzle olive oil in a grill skillet and cook until tender, turning once. This should take only a few minutes.
- For the romaine, remove any damaged outer layers. Trim the very end of the stem, but leave stem attached – this will hold the leaves together.
- Slice romaine in half lengthwise. Brush with olive oil, both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill in a grill skillet until it starts to char, a few minutes only. Turn to grill on both sides.
- To make the salad, place one half of a grilled romaine onto a plate. Top with barley and a few slabs of grilled halloumi. Drizzle vinaigrette over top.