- 2 lb (900 g) Uncooked large prawns with shells (about 32 prawns)
- 8 cups (1890 ml) Cold water
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) Coarse kosher salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) Whole black peppercorns
- 6 Bay leaves, divided
- 1 cup (250 ml) Dry white wine
- 2 Lemons; 1 chopped, 1 cut into wedges
- Handful dry spaghettini noodles (approx. 180g)
- 2 medium Shallots, chopped
- 2 oz Fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
Garlic Chilli Oil
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp Dried chilli
- 1 cup Vegetable oil, or grapeseed oil
- Pinch of salt
- Add salt to a pot of water. Mix in sugar, black peppercorns, bay leaves, prawns, white wine and chopped lemon. Brine for 30 minutes.
- Add spaghettini noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Transfer brined prawns to a bowl and peel off shells.
- Spoon chilled garlic chilli oil into bowl of prawns and toss.
- Lay prawns in an oiled skillet at medium heat. Cook for 1 minute a side seconds per side, until pink.
- Add chopped shallot and parsley to the prawn pan. Spoon in some garlic chilli oil. Add the cooked pasta and a little pasta water. Toss all together. Finish with pepper and lemon juice.
- Transfer prawn pasta to a serving bowl. Drizzle olive oil, squeeze in fresh lemon, and serve.
For the garlic chilli oil
- Add garlic and chilli to a food processor. Pour in vegetable oil. Add salt and blitz for 10 seconds. Pour into a mason jar and store in the refrigerator.