Preptime: 25 minutes
Inactive Prep: 2 hours
Cooktime: 32 minutes
Total: 2 hr 57 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a 2 1/2-quart or larger saucepan, bring the milk, water, 2 teaspoons of salt, and pepper to a low boil, being careful not to allow the liquid to boil over. Working quickly, vigorously whisk in the cornmeal (to avoid lumps). Reduce the heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently with a heat-resistant rubber spatula. Cook’s Note: Make sure to stir along the sides and bottom of the pan so the polenta does not stick. Once the polenta is tender, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the 3 tablespoons butter and the mascarpone cheese.
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper to line a 13 by 9-inch rimmed baking sheet. Lay one piece of parchment on the sheet and brush 1 tablespoon of the room-temperature butter over it. Pour the polenta onto the buttered parchment and spread the polenta into a smooth, even layer. Brush the other piece of parchment with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and place the parchment, butter side down, on top of the polenta. Refrigerate the polenta until it is firm, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days in advance.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.