Canola oil (for grilling)
4 Mahi Mahi Steaks, 6 oz (170 g) each
Charred Orange Beurre Blanc:
- 4 Oranges, halved
- 3 tsp (15 ml) Olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Shallots, minced
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup (120 ml) White wine
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsalted Butter, cold , cubed
- 1 cup (250 ml) Red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 ml) Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 100 ml Juice of an orange
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) Orange, segmented
- ½ cup (120 ml) Grapefruit, segmented
- Prepare dressing for the slaw.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, reduce the orange juice to ¼ cup (60 ml). Allow to cool.
- Prepare the butter sauce. Place a grill pan on high heat. Brush the surface with some neutral flavoured oil and place the oranges, cut side down, onto the hot grill. Once charred, remove and set aside.
- Sauté shallots in an oiled skillet, and add salt. Cook until translucent, approximately 1–2 minutes. As shallots start to caramelize, pour in wine and let it reduce until almost dry.
- Squeeze juice from charred oranges into the skillet and reduce by half. Whisk in the cold butter. About 1 minute set aside off heat.
- Cook the fish.
- Drizzle canola oil over Mahi and season with salt and pepper. Lay it on a grill pan at high heat for 2 minutes. Give it a quarter turn and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Flip fish over and cook for another few minutes until cooked through.
- Finish the slaw. Place all the slaw ingredients into a bowl and drizzle reduced orange juice over top just before serving. Season to taste.
- Spoon butter sauce on a plate and lay grilled Mahi on it. Top with slaw and garnish with chopped chives.