Green Frittata with Asparagus and Spinach
- 12 asparagus spears, ends trimmed and half of them cut into 1” diagonal pieces
- 150g (5 oz) baby spinach leaves
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced and rinsed well
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 12 eggs
- 100g (4 oz) goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g (4 tbsp / ½ stick) butter
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a 25½ cm (10 inch) non-stick frying pan (I like to use a cast iron one). Saute the chopped asparagus, spinach, leeks, chives and tarragon for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and gently cook for about 5 minutes, using a heatproof rubber spatula to shimmy around the edges to loosen the fritatta from the pan as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill on high. Once the fritatta has almost cooked through but is still a little soft in the centre, arrange the remaining asparagus on top and scatter over the goats cheese. Transfer to the grill to cook for about 1 minute until just set and lightly golden.
- Carefully slide the fritatta out onto a large plate or board and divide into portions. Serve at once.
- TIP: For a non-vegetarian version, add 4 cooked and chopped streaky bacon slices to the fried mixture at the start of the recipe.