Greek Salad with Popcorn Cheese
Easy, Moderate, Complex
Yields : 4 servings
Note : You can replace the kefalotyri cheese with a sharp cheddar cheese.
* If you don’t have a deep fryer, heat 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of oil in a pan at medium-high heat. Carefully place cheese in pan and lightly fry on both sides until golden, about 1 minute.
*Cheese must be served immediately or it will harden again within a couple minutes.
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cubed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of Kalamata olives, pitted and halved (250 ml)
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- ½ cup of fresh dill, finely chopped (125 ml)
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (5 ml)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of Kefalotyri cheese, cubed (250 ml)
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375˚F (190˚ C).
- Mix all the vegetables in a large bowl with the dill, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice.
- Deep fry the cheese at 375 ˚F (190 ˚C)* for 2 minutes approximately.
- Toss salad and garnish with fried cheese on top.