Easy, Moderate, Complex
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 10 slices of ginger, peeled
- 1 cup of sugar (250 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 4 ounces of Sailor Jerry rum
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of apple juice (60 ml)
- 2 cups of Hoegarden beer (500 ml)
- Thin slices of apple to garnish
- Freshly grated ginger to garnish
- In a small saucepan combine ginger, sugar and water on med high heat. Let boil and then reduce to medium until the liquid becomes syrupy, about 15-20 minutes. Remove, strain and let cool.
- Using a martini shaker to mix each drink, add ice, 1 ounce of rum, 1 tablespoon of the ginger syrup, the juice of a quarter lime and 1 tablespoon of apple juice. Shake well, pour over ice into a rock glass, top with 1/2 cup of beer and garnish with a thin slice of apple and freshly grated ginger.