EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy, Moderate, Complex
A recipe is merely words on paper; a guideline, a starting point from which to improvise. It cannot pretend to replace the practiced hand and telling glance of a watchful cook. For that reason feel free to stir your own ideas into this dish. When you cook it once, it becomes yours, so personalize it a bit. Add more of an ingredient you like or less of something you don’t like. Try substituting one ingredient for another. Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
- 4 cups sugar
- 8 cups water
- Zest of 4 lemons
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4-6 lemons)
- 4 tablespoons grated ginger
- Pinch salt
- Pour the sugar into a saucepan along with 2 cups of the water.
- Add the lemon zest and bring to a simmer.
- Continue cooking until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Turn the heat off and stir in grated ginger and salt.
- Pour into a large pitcher and add 6 cups of water and plenty of ice.
- Stir well.
Yield: 6 servings