Yield: 4 servings
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large package of chicken thighs, 10 or 12
- 10 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Sprinkled sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a splash of oil, enough to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add the chicken thighs, skin side down and brown them well on each side.
- Put half the onions into a slow cooker and stir in the thyme, sherry, mustard and salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs and cover with the rest of the onions.
- Season again with salt and pepper.
- Add the lid, set to medium or low and cook for at least six hours or longer.
- The onions will turn golden brown, shrink dramatically and release lots of moisture for the chicken to braise tender in.