Highly nutritious, sardines are packed full of all the healthy omega fats – and they make excellent eating.
Kettle Braai Direct Wood or Charcoal Fire
- 5 ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) soy sauce
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 1 kg sardines
- readymade tomato chutney
- Combine the paprika, soy sauce, oil and sugar. Set aside.
- Scale the sardines and cut off the heads. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit down the belly and gut the fish. Rinse well and dry using paper towel. Cut slits in the flesh.
- Place the sardines in a large bowl and pour over the smoked paprika mixture and rub into the fish.
- Just before serving, place the fish over a hot fire for 3–4 minutes per side. Serve with chutney, and lemon wedges if desired.