Bananas come perfectly packaged inside a thick peel, making them perfect for cooking on the fire. The secret is to use bananas that are a bit on the green side, otherwise they become too soft during cooking.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
- 1 x 100 g packet pecan nuts, finely chopped
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) soft brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 6–8 greenish bananas fresh cream for serving
- Combine the nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Place the bananas on the counter and, using a sharp knife, make three evenly spaced slits in the skin. Peel back the skin without removing it completely. Cut foil squares big enough to wrap each banana generously.
- Divide the praline mixture between the bananas and pack it onto the banana under the skin.
- Fold the peel back into place and secure with a piece of string. Seal the foil parcels and cook the bananas over a medium fire for about 15 minutes, without turning. Open the parcels and serve hot with fresh cream.