Chicken mince is extremely versatile and can be made into many different things, with chicken burgers topping the list. The fattiness of the streaky bacon gives the burger excellent flavour.
KETTLE BRAAI DIRECT WOOD OR CHARCOAL FIRE
Makes 4–6, depending on size of burger
- 500 g chicken mince
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced small handful parsley, finely chopped
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8–12 rashers rindless streaky bacon
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken mince, breadcrumbs, spring onions, chilli, parsley and oil.
- Season generously.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 4–6 patties. Wrap a piece of bacon around each burger, then wrap another piece around the other way to form a cross of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Spray the braai grid generously with non-stick cooking spray. Cook on a medium fire for about
- 8 minutes per side. If the burgers stick to the grid, they are not ready to be turned.
- Serve on their own or with a roll, lettuce, tomato slices and some sliced pickled cucumbers.