- 250g soft butter
- 225g sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 eggs, separated
- 250ml self raising flour, sifted
- 250ml semolina
- 280ml Greek yoghurt
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a 20cm bundt tin with non stick spray.
- Place the egg whites in a metallic bowl and whisk with 30ml sugar until soft peaks form.
- Cream butter and add the sugar gradually. Continue beating the butter until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time with 2,5ml cake flour to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Add the self raising flour and the semolina and mix well.
- Pour in the yoghurt and beat well to combine.
- Add half the beaten egg whites and lightly fold into the cake mixture.
- Add the remaining whisked egg whites and lightly fold ensuring that the ingredients are well combined.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when the cake is tested.
- Leave the cake to stand for 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Dust the cake with icing sugar when cool.
- Almond or rose essence can be used to flavour the cake batter.
- All ingredients including the yoghurt must be at room temperature for the best results.
- If you do not have a bundt tin, use a round baking tin but ensure that you line the base and side of the tin with baking paper.
- Orange zest can be used instead of lemon zest.