Persian Roast Chicken
- 1 free range chicken, 1.2 – 1.4kg
- 50ml olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 60ml yoghurt
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large onions, grated
- A few saffron strands
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 30ml pomegranate molasses
- Salt and pepper to season
- Baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 onions or shallots, quartered
- Fresh chives, to garnish
- Squeeze excess moisture from the grated onion.
- Discard the pulp and reserve the liquid.
- Remove excess fat globules and skin from the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a non reactive bowl.
- Season the chicken and rub with olive oil and garlic.
- Add lemon and onion juice.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place the chicken in a zip seal bag.
- Marinate for a minimum of three hours and a maximum of 24 hours.
- Place chicken and the marinade in a roasting pan.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees and roast chicken with the skin side up.
- Add the tomatoes and onions after 45 minutes and roast for a further five minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chives.