Brinjal in Coconut Sauce
- 2 large brinjals
- Fine salt to sweat brinjals
- Sunflower oil for frying brinjals
- 45ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5ml coarse salt
- 2 dried lime leaves
- 15ml crushed garlic
- 10ml red chilli powder
- 2 tomatoes, blanched and chopped
- 10ml ground coriander
- 5ml ground cumin
- 5ml garam masala
- 2,5ml turmeric
- 15ml Magic Masala
- 400ml coconut milk
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat 45ml sunflower oil in a pot and sauté the onion with coarse salt until light golden brown.
- Stir in the crushed garlic and lime leaves.
- Sauté until fragrant before adding the red chilli powder.
- Stir for 3 – 5 seconds and then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer for a minute and stir continuously to break the tomatoes down.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, garam masala and turmeric.
- Simmer until the tomatoes resemble a thick paste.
- Add the magic masala and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes on a low heat.
- Gently place the brinjal wedges into the sauce and allow to warm through for a minute.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- The brinjal wedges can be thinly sliced and grilled with olive oil.
- The sauce can be made in advance and stored in a refrigerator for up to two days.
- Chickpeas may be added to this sauce.