- 3 firm pears
- 50ml (2 fl oz) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 4 good handfuls of mixed green leaves, to include watercress or rocket
- 75g (3 oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 150g (5 oz) crumbled Cashel blue cheese
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F / Gas Mark 4). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Peel and quarter the pears lengthwise. Then remove the core with a knife and halve each quarter lengthwise again to give 8 wedges from each pear. Toss the wedges in a medium bowl with 3 tablespoons of maple syrup and salt and pepper to taste. Then spread the pear pieces out on the preheated baking tray and roast for about 15-20 minutes until tender and a deep golden brown. Remove and leave to cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Whisk the remaining tablespoon of maple syrup in a small bowl with the oil and cider vinegar. Add the shallot and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the salad leaves in large bowl, drizzle the dressing over and gently toss to coat. Arrange a pile of salad in the centre of each serving plate. Scatter the roasted pears, pecans and blue cheese on top and serve at once.