Spinach and Cheese Pie
Whenever I make this pie, it makes such an impressive entrance with its scrunched phyllo topping that people think I am a genius.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
CHEF’S TIP: I like to prepare this ahead of time, but only bake it just before serving so that the cheeses are oozing and melting.
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 T) olive oil
- 300g (10.5 oz) Swiss chard
- 5 sheets phyllo
- melted butter for brushing
- 100g (3.5 oz) feta, grated
- 100g (3.5 oz) haloumi, grated
- 200g (7 oz) ricotta, crumbled
- mature cheddar, grated
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 24cm springform tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Slice the leeks thinly. Heat the olive oil and sauté the leeks until softened. Shred the Swiss chard finely, add to the leeks and sauté quickly until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a colander to drain off excess water.
- Brush each sheet of phyllo and lay each in the prepared tin, with the excess hanging on outside of tin so that this can be flapped in to seal the pie. Repeat layering with each of the 5 sheets.
- Sprinkle the cheeses on the bottom of the phyllo. Then top with the spinach mixture. Fold in each overhanging sheet of phyllo, scrunching lightly. Brush the phyllo with more melted butter. Bake on middle rack of the oven for at least 25 minutes or until golden.