Thai Chicken and Basil Spring Rolls
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 30ml (2 tbs) oil
- ½ red onion
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh ginger
- 5ml (1 tsp) minced garlic
- 500g (1 lb) chicken breasts
- 30ml (2 tbs) sweet chilli sauce
- 30ml (2 tbs) soya sauce
- 30ml (2 tbs) fresh basil
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) minced chilli
- 100g (3.5 oz) vermicelli noodles (bean threads)
- 1 medium carrot
- 12 sheets spring roll pastry
- 1 egg
- 10ml (2 tsp) water
- extra oil for frying
- Sweet Chilli Mayonaise
- 125ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- 60ml (¼ cup) sweet chilli sauce
- 15ml (1 tbs) fresh lime juice
- coarse salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Chop the onion, grate the ginger and add them with the garlic to the oil. Sauté for 3 minutes or until the onion softens. Chop the chicken very finely and add to the pan. Cook through completely. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce and soya sauce and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat. Shred the basil and add with the chilli.
- In the meanwhile, soak the noodles in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain them, and then cut them with scissors into smaller threads. Grate the carrot finely and add with the noodles to the chicken mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Place a spoonful of chicken mixture in a diagonal line in the centre of the sheet of spring roll pastry. Roll up the sides and ends quite tightly. Lightly beat the egg with water and brush the edges to seal. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the spring rolls on medium heat until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve warm.
- For the Sweet Chilli Mayonaise
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve with the spring rolls.