Butternut Squash Laksa Soup
CHEF’S TIP: Ensure that the coriander and coconut shavings are added only just before serving.
- 500g (1 lb) butternut
- 10ml (2 tsp) chilli paste
- 5ml (1 tsp) minced garlic
- 2 large pieces fresh ginger
- 2 lemon grass sticks
- 30g (1 oz) fresh coriander
- 5ml (1 tsp) Chinese 5-spice powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 3 lemon leaves
- 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
- 375ml (1½ cups) coconut milk
- juice of 1 lime
- coconut shavings
- Cut the butternut into very small cubes and set aside. Process the chilli, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, coriander, Chinese 5-spice powder and cumin in a food processor until they make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the spice paste and the onion and sauté for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add the butternut, stock and lemon leaves and stir, scraping all the bits at the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the butternut is soft and cooked. Add the coconut milk and adjust the seasoning.
- Bring back to a boil and add the lime juice.
- Serve with fresh coriander leaves and top with coconut shavings.