- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) minced garlic
- 500g (1 lb) minced beef
- 3 x 410g tins whole peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 70g tin tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 10-15ml (2-3 tsps) sugar
- 10ml (2 tsps) Worcestershire sauce
- coarse salt and black pepper
- Béchamel Sauce
- 60g (4 tbs) butter
- 45ml (3 tbs) flour
- 750ml (3 cups) milk
- coarse salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
- grated Cheddar and parmesan for sprinkling on top
- 250g lasagne sheets, uncooked
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes on medium-high heat until the onion is softened. Add the mince and cook in batches until most of it is cooked and the water has evaporated. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and bay leaves and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar and Worcestershire sauce.
- For the Béchamel Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pot. Then add the flour and whisk for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk allowing the sauce to thicken. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Prepare an ovenproof dish with non-stick spray. Layer ½ of the meat sauce on the bottom of the dish, then place a layer of lasagna sheets, then spread half the béchamel sauce, then lasagna sheets. Repeat layers ending with béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheddar and parmesan. Refrigerate until ready to bake. Or freeze and defrost before baking.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for about 50-60 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Prick with a fork in the centre to test if lasagna sheets are soft.