Ease of preparation: Easy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Cooling time: 3 hours
- ¾ cup (180 ml) 35% cream
- 1 French shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh thyme stems
- ½ tsp (2, 5 ml) black pepper corns, cracked
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter
- 5 oz. (150 g) smoked trout, sliced
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brandy
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil the cream, shallot, thyme, pepper and butter. Let reduce to half over medium heat. Pour the cream through a strainer and return it to the saucepan. Add the trout and continue cooking over medium heat for 3 minutes while stirring.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolks and the brandy. While whisking, pour a small amount of hot cream to temperate mixture. Pour this mixture into the saucepan and bring to a boil while whisking.
- Pour the rillettes into two ramekins that can contain a ½ cup (125 ml) and cover with a plastic film. Refrigerate 3 hours. Serve with croutons and pickles.
- Rillettes are better when served slightly temperate.
- If we wish to de-mould the rillettes, it will be necessary to line the ramekins with a plastic film.