Ease of preparation: easy
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours
Standing time: 15 minutes
- 4 ½ (2.2 kg) rib roast, deboned and tied to the bone
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted butter
- 2 tsp (10 ml) brown sugar
- The white of 3 leeks, cut in 4 inch (10 cm) chunks
- 3 onions, cut in ¼ inch (1/2 cm) slices
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- Put the oven rack in the center. Preheat the oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
- Salt and pepper the roast on all sides and put it in a roaster with the bone side down.
- In a bowl, mix the mustards, butter and brown sugar. Spread on the meat. Insert a meat thermometer to the center of the roast. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Oil the leeks and onions. Salt and pepper. Put the vegetables around the roast and add the chicken stock. Continue to roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the thermometer indicates a temperature of 129 °F (54 °C) for a rare roast, or 145 °F (63 °C) for a medium roast. Set the roast aside on a plate. Cover the roast with aluminium foil and let stand for 15 minutes.