Ease of preparation:Medium
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Refrigeration time: 2 hours
Roasting time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 ½ ounces (125 g) dish towel (cheese cloth) foie gras, temperate.
- ½ cup (125 ml) duck fat or softened butter
- 1 chicken, about 4 lbs (2 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Line a cooking plate with parchment paper.
- Mix the foie gras and duck fat in a food processor. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 ml) of fat.
- On a carving board, open the chicken to a spread eagle shape. To do this, position the chicken on its back. Put a chef’s knife in the chicken an cut the back bones.
- Place the chicken flat-out on the plate. Use fingers to carefully detach the skin from the chicken’s breast and thighs without tearing it. Stuff the chicken with the foie gras mixture by spreading it evenly under the skin. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Position the oven rack in the center. Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Spread the reserved duck fat on the chicken and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper.
- Oven roast for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until the meat thermometer inserted in the thigh, without touching the bone, indicates 180 °F (82 °C).
- Serve with mashed potatoes and carrots.
For different tasting mashed potatoes, use buttermilk instead of milk. Add a bit of chopped fresh chives.