Ease of Preparation: Moderate
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves : 6
- 1 large bunch of asparagus
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano rice
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- 4 1/2 cups (1,125 litres) hot chicken stock approximately
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
- Salt and Pepper
- Place rack in centre of oven. Pre-heat oven at Broil.
- Cut asparagus in sections. Place asparagus on a grill and add oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill in oven 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
- In a saucepan, soften onions in butter without browning. Add rice and cook 1 minute at medium heat while stirring to coat rice with butter. Deglaze with wine and reduce until liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ½ cup (125 ml) of chicken stock at a time and cook while stirring frequently until liquid is almost completely absorbed. Repeat process until stock is entirely incorporated and the rice is tender.
- Add asparagus and continue cooking for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and mix until melted, Rectify seasoning to taste. Serve immediately.