Stuffed Mushroom Caps with Two Fillings
Big brown mushrooms are the perfect vessels for different fillings and these are two of my favourites that are quick to make and super tasty.
Kettle Braai / Direct Wood or Charcoal Fire
- 6 large brown mushrooms olive oil
- Cheese and Chutney Filling
- 500 ml (2 cups) grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) Mrs Ball’s chutney freshly ground black pepper
- Courgette and Feta Filling
- 3 courgettes (baby marrows), washed and trimmed
- 2 rounds creamy feta cheese, or use 1 x 100 g log cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Cheese and Chutney Filling
- Snap the stalks off the mushrooms. Brush the mushrooms caps with olive oil on both sides.
- Combine the cheese and chutney, adding sufficient chutney to make it fairly moist. Season with black pepper and spoon into the mushroom caps, ensuring the mushroom is well covered.
- Place each mushroom on a piece of foil, bringing up the sides without sealing the parcel. Place over the fire and cook for 12–15 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and the cheese has melted. Serve with crusty bread.
- For the Courgette and Feta Filling
- Grate the courgettes and break up the feta cheese. Combine the two with the garlic and salt and pepper.
- Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and divide the mixture between the mushroom caps. Place each mushroom on a piece of foil, folding up the edges without sealing the parcel completely. Place over the fire and cook for 15–20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft, the cheese has melted and the courgettes are cooked.