South Africa’s favourite sausage makes excellent kebabs – and a welcome variation to the usual method of preparing boerewors.
- Gas Braai
- Kettle Braai/Direct Wood or Charcoal Fire
- 750 g best quality boerewors
- 12 wooden kebab sticks, soaked in water for
- 30 minutes
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red, green or yellow pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, cut the boerewors into 3–4 cm lengths.
- For each kebab thread a wedge of onion, a piece of boerewors, tomato, another piece of boerewors and a chunk of pepper.
- Place on a baking tray and brush the kebabs with olive oil. Just before placing on the fire, season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 7–10 minutes per side.