Tagliatelle with Mushy Peas, Sausages and Ricotta
- 500g (18 oz) dried tagliatelle or your favorite pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 450g (1 Lb) pork sausages, casings removed
- 2 x 400g cans processed peas, drained
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 50g (2 oz) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over a high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to pack instructions until al dente. Once cooked, ladle about 100ml (4 fl oz) of the cooking water into a small bowl and reserve and then drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about 1-2 minutes until lightly golden. Increase the heat to medium and add the sausage meat. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up into bite-sized pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes until well browned. Remove the sausage and garlic from the pan and keep warm, covered with foil.
- Pour the peas into the pan and lightly mash them using the back of the wooden spoon or a fork. Warm through for a few minutes before removing from the heat. Then add the ricotta cheese along with the cooked pasta and reserved cooking liquid and toss to coat. Finally return the sausage and garlic to the pan, add the basil, parmesan cheese and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.