Roasted Hearty Tomato and Garlic Soup
- 1.3 Kg (3 Lbs) ripe tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ L (2 ½ pts) chicken stock
- 1½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried crushed chilli flakes
- small handful basil leaves, torn
- crusty bread, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C (Gas Mark 6 / 400F).
- Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, on a large baking tray. Drizzle 5 tablespoons of the olive oil over the tomatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 1 hour until the tomatoes are tender and have browned lightly. Tip the tomatoes and any accumulated juices into a food processor or blender and blitz for about 30 seconds until well blended.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of the oil in large saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme and sauté for about 30 seconds, stirring until fragrant and the garlic is golden.
- Pour the tomatoes onto the garlic in the pan and add the chicken stock and crushed chilli flakes. Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer for about 25 minutes until the soup thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once with crusty bread.