Chewy Pecan Bars
Makes 16 squares
- 175g (6 oz) butter, at room temperature + extra for greasing
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour
- 100g (4 oz) pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 170C (325F / Gas Mark 3). Grease a 20½ cm (8 in) square baking tin and line with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter, caster and brown sugar together in a food mixer set with the beater attachment until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. Briefly beat in the flour and pecans until just blended. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the tin. Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing and leaving on a wire rack to cool completely. Then cut into 16 squares. These can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.