Deconstructed Sushi Salad Platter
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 20 salmon sashimi slices
- 20 smoked salmon slices
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 5 Israeli cucumbers, julienned
- 1 whole lettuce, finely shredded
- 2 sheets Nori (seaweed), cut into strips and rolled
- sushi rice *
- black and white sesame seeds for decoration
- 125ml (½ cup) soya sauce
- 30ml (2 tbs) rice vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbs) olive oil
- 30 ml (2 tbs) honey
- 10ml (2 tsp) wasabi powder
- black pepper
- Place the rice in 2 sections on a platter. In the centre, arrange the cucumbers, then the avocado slices and then the lettuce.
- On the outside edges, fan the sashimi and smoked salmon and sprinkle alternately with the sesame seeds.
- Serve the Nori in a smaller dish and the sauce in a separate small jug.
- For the Dressing
- Whisk all ingredients together and set aside.
*CHEF’S TIP: For the sushi rice, wash 250ml (1 cup) rice well. Place it in a pot with 310ml
(1¼ cups) cold water. Bring to a boil. Then turn the stove down and simmer on lowest heat with the lid on for about 15 minutes. Remove pot from stove and leave rice for another 10 minutes. Stir in 30ml (2 tbs) sushi vinegar 15ml (1 tbs) at a time to flavour the rice and to make it sticky. Set aside until ready to use.
The rice should be at room temperature and not cold when serving. I like serving the dressing separately to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.